Saturday 20 October 2007

we hurdle the pruning problem

Our gardens generate tons of organic waste per year. Amongst this waste are the long stems and branches of buddleia, raspberries, crab apples and every other shrub.
I once used to shred this mountain of woody matter, but it was time consuming, noisy and used energy. The shreddings produced were excellent as a mulch or used in the compost bins.
I took pride that I had not sent garden waste away in our 'brown bin'.
Nowadays I use the branches, thinnings and prunings to make low 'hurdles' that act as a natural barrier within borders to retain leaves and other mulches.
I push some sticks in about thirty centimeters apart and then wind the branches into place.
They look very natural and are more fun for minibeasts!


submit a blog



No comments: