Monday 28 April 2008

cover me


Okay, okay! I know that there's insufficient contrast between the broken terracotta pot mulch and the terracotta pot. Yes. And the pot needs cleaning. Will you listen for a minute? I'm making a point here.
The point?
The point is that we want to use mulches to conserve water - and to stop pesky hens! Most gardens use terracotta pots and most gardeners have broken ones. So... smash 'em up and lay them on the surface and presto! A really effective mulch! Weeds can't get in as easily and water can't get out. Sustainable and free!

1 comment:

Jayne said...

Hi Rob,
thanks for the great tip, I'm definitely going to try it. My sister in law cleared out loads of old terracotta pots which I just couldn't bear to get rid of. Now I have an ideal use for the broken ones!

I've been using pine cones as a mulch to deter snails from hostas, they seem to be working really well!