Saturday 7 June 2008

what a waste


Here in England the rain comes down, the sun shines and the grass grows.

What a pity to see people bagging their grass cuttings and putting them in the bin. This unnecessary waste can be stopped and the fertility of the garden improved by using the grass cuttings to boost soil fertility.

Here, clematis 'arabella' has had a mulch of grass cuttings.

The mulch will retain moisture in the soil. As the grass cuttings are easily incorporated by worms and full of nutrients, the clematis will get an extra fertility boost.

And the garden is not creating waste for someone else to manage. We all win.

3 comments:

Matron said...

I couldn't agree more! Grass cuttings are like gold-dust. They do make a wonderful mulch on flower borders and it is the best thing for heating up the compost heap this time of year! Only problem at the moment is that my lawn is under water at the moment!

Rob said...

Sorry to hear about your underwater lawn!
They used to flood pastureland in these parts to get the grass growing faster.
Prepare yourself for a mulch mountain when you can get a mower on it!

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

I give all my grass clippings to my chickens. They love them and eat them right up. I don't use pesticide on my lawn so therefore its yummy for the girls to dig into. Then when I clean out their pen/house etc I use all their droppings for fertilizer for the garden. Win Win situation! If I had no chickens I would compost them. I totally agree in composting. I throw everything else in the compost pile.