Tuesday 15 July 2008

summer's here, and the time is right


Composting is the life blood of the organic gardener. It is the way in which we add fertility and condition the soil. As well as the minerals and fertility added, organic compost adds billions of micro organisms to the soil. Healthy soil is essential for organic gardening.

In excavations of Iron Age settlements, curious holes have been discovered. Each would contain an artefact or offering. They are now explained by archaeologists as offerings to appease the spirits after pits had been dug into the earth to store grain.

As organic gardeners, are we sharing in that same thought process? Are we saying to Mother Earth, we give to you generous offerings of organic matter so that you will give generous harvests in return? There is something primal going on here.

So, as the warm weather of summer provides great conditions for decay, let me share with you my ritual.

In generous layers build up:

  1. material collected over previous weeks and months that is a mixture of weeds, kitchen vegetable waste, paper, chicken manure
  2. really fresh horse manure
  3. chopped stems and leaves of comfrey.
Add a sprinkling of lime to layers that don't come into contact with manure.

Water with diluted comfrey liquid.

Leave in compost bin until needed.

I feel that further authenticity could be added to this ancient ritual as the compost bin is finally filled and reaches the top. But my powers of persuasion only go so far...........

This rich compost will be used to fertilise our potato bed next spring.

8 comments:

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

I really want to add a compost area to my garden. I have one planned soon. I have so much that could be added to it. Yours is great!!!!

Lisa said...

Hmm, now, I'm envious of your access to chicken manure, 'really fresh' horse manure, and comfrey.

Your bin looks great and I'm confident that you have fabulous potatoes.

I have LOTS of vegetable trimmings, hay, weeds, and paper, but haven't figured out an easy way to transport manure (aside from the bagged stuff) in my Outback wagon!

My three piles are a loose rotation of slow (very) compost, but I'm always wanting to speed up one of the rotations in my 'garbage can' composter.

There is something quite wonderful about the ritual of letting things decompose, and then returning them to your garden.

Matron said...

An interesting topic - the history of compost heaps. I visited the home of George Washington at Mount Vernon a couple of years ago. Even in the 18th century he was raving about his manure and compost heap!

Rob said...

It would be interesting to know when the first compost was made. How quickly did early agrarians learn that compost was beneficial? Was it just common sense or did it have to be learned.
I should get out more!!!!!!!

Jayne said...

Hi Rob, have you any thoughts on the 'green cone food digester' and bokashi bins that have been in the news lately? I compost all of our kitchen peelings etc and most of our garden waste, but wonder how well they'd deal with cooked waste?

Rob said...

Ay up Jayne
We both read the Gedling Borough Council magazine don't we?
Today phoned up about Bokashi bin. Cost is around £70 plus bran. Thought it was a bit expensive for the use we'd make of it.
Friends have got a green cone and we will be checking it out out after we're back from hols.
Will let you know what they think.
Cheers
Rob

Jayne said...

If you go to recycle now http://tiny.cc/Sz8G3
they have an offer of two Bokashi bins for £38 for Gedling residents.
Have a good holiday!
Jayne

Rob said...

Will suus that one out, now that I'm back. Thanks for the tip.
Have a good one yourself!
Rob