Tuesday 26 August 2008

forty shades of green


Here's a view of the garden diagonally across to the corner where the new patio has been built.

Using every space in a small garden is so important. Since the new patio has been available, we have used it every morning that weather and time has allowed.

Its raised elevation gives a quite different view of the garden. When the pond is completed and the plants are established, this will be even better.

Worth the hard work.

Just need to add more August flowers!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have a lovely garden. I'm still in a haze about your last post about insects/bees and their effects on your gardens. I noticed your commentors suggested it was not a daylight problem? I read your post and I thought you were talking about the weather/rain and it's effects.

I'm in zone 8, near Seattle, WA. I do/have noticed the obvious lack of bees/bumblebees in my garden. I have wasps, which I am thinking they may be doing the job, but I really don't know. I spot the occasional worker bee, and early in spring I saw a few bumble bee's. But not so much lately. The garden is lacking this year. Veg and Flower.

My goal now, is to create a more natural habitat for these creatures, and if I have to, I will try a bee hive. I am in dense residential, but I have been reading about certain hives that may work in my situation.

Best of luck - I enjoy your blog. Sue

Rob said...

Hi Sue,
Yes, it's my contention that weather exacerbated by the other factors mentioned has hit insect populations.

I think that light pollution my be having an effect, but do not think it is as significant as the ones I mentioned.

Good luck with your city bees. I have heard that they can thrive in city environments and produce fantastic honey.

Rob