Thursday 2 October 2008

growing perfect leeks


Increase your leek yield by 200% from the same ground!

Sounds too good to be true, I know...... but it's worth a try.

We have always had great success with leeks. Grow 'em on as seedlings and when they are nice and strong, dibber holes, drop individual baby leeks into the hole and water in. Never fails.

But, then along comes champion gardener Roger with a champion idea.

Place each leek inside a 50ml diameter piece of plastic tubing and extend the blanched length of the leek considerably. Roger certainly had some fantastic success with this method..so let's give it a go.

We had started our leeks off normally, and then, when established and strong, placed tubing over the leaves and stems as pictured.

The prediction is that the length of the blanched stem will increase considerably. I've left one or two 'unpiped' in the bed to provide a comparison.

Watch this space!

7 comments:

Matron said...

I have been using toilet rolls for a few years now. I might just try your method and start to collect longer rolls to blanch my leeks. They are just about ready now.

Rob said...

It certainly seemed to work for Roger. The Builders' merchant sell pipes for a couple of quid, so it's worth the experiment.
Rob

Ottawa Gardener said...

Interesting idea. Wouldn't covering the green bit slow the growth? I think I might try this with toilet paper rolls or hose like yourself.

Rob said...

I've left the green leaves poking out of the top to give the plants light. I don't pot the tubing on until the plants are a bit longer than the tubing.
Rob

Sinfonian said...

Just had to say I'm glad I found your blog. My research into my climate here in the Pacific NW (Seattle to be precise) is that our climate is closer to England than anyplace here in the U.S. It's great to see all you do and inspiring for me to try it here. Thanks for sharing!

Rob said...

I hear that Seattle is famous for its rain! So is our wet island. I'll follow your progress with interest. Great to hear from you.
Rob

Sinfonian said...

Yeah, Seattle is known for it's rain, though this year has been relatively dry. However, now is the start of the rainy season (all fall and winter is the rainy season), so I put up hoop covers, mostly for the wind and rain, though the mild frosts are bad too.

I love your blog, I'll come back often!