Wednesday 15 October 2008

spinach



Over on the other side I describe an unhappy encounter with Italian spinach.

But let us not disparage one of our great green leaf vegetables. Spinach is more sinned against than sinning.

You've got in mind to cook your tea and wonder what to do. Out in the garden, glossy and turgid stands a beautiful, erect bed of spinach.

A Greek oven baked tortilla or omelette comes to mind......

Bang the oven on and stick some of your homegrown potatoes in.

Quickly out and pull several fresh spinach leaves. Back inside with a wash and trim of the thicker stalks. Chop it up, wilt it with homegrown leeks and garlic in a pan. Cubes of feta cheese. Chopped fresh mint out of the garden. Beaten bantam eggs and grated Parmesan on top.

Baked in moderate oven for thirty minutes or until cooked. Spuds ready too. Beer - and 'Dinner's ready!'.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Hi, Rob--
You're totally lucky to have nice spinach right now --your tortilla/omelette sounds lovely.

I've been so busy that I haven't had time to sown fresh winter greens (aargh!) but the mesclun mix seed that I shared with one of my colleagues for a display garden is apparently quite productive.

Cheers,
Lisa

dinzie said...

Sounds good to me :O)

D

Rob said...

Believe me, it is!
Rob