Thursday 9 April 2009

asparagus


Our first cut of asparagus is imminent. How I wait for the home grown asparagus season!

Asparagus is easy to grow and the only real menace is asparagus beetle. We burn the asparagus ferns at the end of the season to kill larvae and eggs.
We hoe the ground so that garden birds can feast on the pests.
We scour the stems and tips for beetles and crush them when we find them.

And then the master stroke - we bring on the tubby little princesses who spend a happy day scratching pecking until the ground is clean.

We will get asparagus beetle this year - but it will not be because we haven't tried our best to eradicate it!

2 comments:

Matron said...

Chickens are useful that way aren't they? I wish I had some to peck over my asparagus, and to have a go at the gooseberry sawfly larvae too.

Rob said...

We have a very 'clean' gooseberry in the garden - courtesy of my podgy princesses!
Rob