Monday 13 April 2009

first early potato


In days gone by, Good Friday always meant one gardening job: plant the potatoes. Good Friday is a bank holiday and this gave the time gardeners needed to get their potatoes in.

Holiday patterns change and time available too, but we stick to that old routine. On Friday, i planted:
Kestrel (Second early) 6 rows
Maxine Second early) 1 row
Nicola (Second early) 5 rows
Pink Fir Apple (Maincrop) 4 rows.

I had planted the Shapes Express (First early) potatoes under fleece cloche protection a few weeks back, and here is one of the little beauties just appearing.

When I began gardening in my own garden in 1978, I remember the excitement for me of seeing my first potatoes appear. I haven't lost it.

4 comments:

dinzie said...

Sounds like a good plot of spuds :O) I don't think we get any of those types over here ...

D

Sikantis said...

It's great that you can choose between so many different potato types!

Sinfonian said...

Same here, I just had two sprouts poke out of the soil of my newly planted potato bins. Very cool! I promise to be more dilligent at hilling them regularly. Going to try to beat my 25 pounds per bin mark from last year.

Rob said...

25 pounds per bin!!
That is an amazing total and I would be surprised if we get anywhere near that. Very impressed!
Rob