Wednesday 6 May 2009

a red and white summer


Now is the time that our greenhouses are groaning.

The threat of frost is still great and our little plants are not robust enough yet to face the double whammy of frost and slugs.

So, greenhouses are packed tight with plants - and ours is no exception.

Our hanging baskets are planted and are being carefully nurtured in the greenhouse. This year I have used red begonias, red trailing geraniums, white fuscias and variegated white and green nepeta. You spotted it - this year my theme is red and white - to celebrate Nottingham Forest Football Club staying in the Championship. It was a worry for a while, I can tell you! For American readers, the football I refer to is what you call soccer - and to quote the great Liverpool manager Bill Shankly "Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that."

So our front will be emblazoned with red and white to signify my teams colours. Once again I will be using a peat free potting compost. I not be using moisture retaining jells. I refer you to Will Taft's blog for more on that subject.

So, here's hoping for a glorious summer to precede a glorious season of success for my team next year.

You Reds!

4 comments:

Will said...

I also have a full greenhouse. It is almost safe, but we usually do get a frost during the first 1/2 of May, sometimes even later. One thing I do with tomatoes is use the walls of water. This allows me to put them out by the first of May and get tomatoes by the 4th of July or earlier.

Rob said...

Walls of water???? I'll need to do some research there Will.
Cheers
Rob

vuejardin said...

Lot of hard work........great sandstone design

Will said...

Did you find the Wall'O'Water, Rob? I just took the last of them off the tomatoes. I have only picked a couple of red ones so far but that is pretty good for Oregon. They should come on heavy over the next week and I will have lots to barter with at the local farm stands!