Sunday 13 September 2009

grow it and then eat it


We have a lot to thank the New World for.

Can you imagine the difficulty the people of these islands had feeding themselves before potatoes and maize were cultivated?

It has been some time since my last post due to the new school year, white emulsion paint and then a nasty stomach bug.

but .. all of that is in the past now and I spent a happy hour harvesting sweetcorn, blackberries, raspberries, leeks, calabrese (broccoli), apples and beans.

We then came home and ate them! Almost everything on the plate grown by us. And mighty tasty too.

Here's the dinner, followed by apple crumble and creme fraiche.

4 comments:

Here are jobs for you! said...

Yummy! I love corns. Fresh vegetables and fruits are really good especially when there harvested straight from your own farm. It's so tasty!!!

Lisa said...

Goodness, and think about the reverse direction, too. All of the Old World crops that we grow are quite delicious. I can't imagine not having onions, broccoli, or lettuce (not to mention apples); you grew them before we did in North America!

Glad you're back to posting. I can echo the school year crunch, diverting medical issues, etc. Lovely to be back to spending time in the garden again.

Cheers,
Lisa

P.S. My young leeks are absolutely delicious -first time growing them.

Rob said...

Lisa,
I had forgotten the flow of plants from the Old World to the New.
Soooooooo busy at the moment!
Must find time for gardening.
Rob

dinzie said...

Damn fine looking dinner :O) I'm starving now .......

D