Friday 23 October 2009

asian or nashi pears


Over to Hungerhill Allotments, Nottingham for their Apple Day on Sunday.

Particularly taken with the fruit we were able to identify as the 'Asian Pear' (pyrus pyrifolia). Sorry photo is blurry.

The tree has glossy leaves and round yellow fruit that are quite unlike any pear I have had before. Very sweet and juicy with a hint of apple.

Also called Nashi pears, these are very popular in Korea.

We are planning to add twp pear varieties to our cordoned apple 'orchard'' before spring.

This one certainly had the wow factor.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

These pears look great!

I'm currently trying to decide what to do with the 5 heirloom apples that I impulsively ordered last spring after the Organic Growers School last March (which have just arrived).

We're not really in great apple growing country here in the SE US piedmont, but in the mountains, we don't have a lot of space and my gardening companion is keen on planting native mountain plants.

So, I think I'll heel them in, and transplant them to the community center or the elementary school near our small house in the mountains.

Best,
Lisa

Rob said...

An advantage of a northern climate is our ability to grow and store our own apples. I hope that some will keep until March. One friend was still eating his stored apples the following May!
Rob