Thursday 12 November 2009

perfect parsnip


I have written about the method I use to grow baby parsnips to avoid the problems that come with their long slow germination.

Parsnip seeds are sown into newspaper cylinders of peat free compost and watered. When the young plants are showing two strong leaves, they are dropped into planting holes in their tubes. The newspaper melts away as the young plants grow over the spring and summer.

This year, I did not 'thin out' each tube to leave one strong plant but left each with three or four little plants. I was concerned that this could lead to too many small plants but on first inspection this is not the case.

Here, after a wet summer is the product. 6 inches in diameter (15cm) and 18 inches long (45cm), with good flavour.

5 comments:

Mr. H. said...

That is a very nice parsnip, I might have to try your technique.

Anonymous said...

This is very good technique, but Im not sure how do you water soil and the newspapers dont fall apart?

Rob said...

Newspaper cylinders are held together with sellotape.
Rob

Lisa said...

Hmm, I don't think my climate is suited to parsnips (or other root crops, for that matter), but your method(s) look excellent.

Lisa

Leigh said...

Hello, I loved seeing your technique. I've wanted to grow parsnips ever since I was served some sauted in butter. Yum! I've got a little wooden roller to make the newspaper cups for my seedlings (of all kinds) next year to save on peat pots... Thanks for this inspiration!

Leigh,
from A Larrapin Garden (Ozarks, US)