Wednesday 13 December 2023

Rot hole

Day 164 #365DaysWild


Sunset at 3:50pm drew the shift to an early close.

Mild all day but even our sandy ground was soggy after the frequent rain.

Began working through the Woodland Garden today. A long job which must be completed by spring. But a start..

Pete clearing weeds and leaves on paths then mulching with woodchip.

A sycamore had been felled by Nathan last week and the last of the

timber needed stacking or to be used as log-edging for paths.

Snowdrops are beginning to peek through the leafmould on the soil surface so care is needed as I work through, removing encroaching ivy, herb Robert and couch grass. Among the leaf mould I disturbed a wriggling groping nest of maggots. I covered it quickly as the neighbourhood robin was supervising my work.

Native holly, elder, birch, hazel, Scots pine and beech give structure within the garden, even in winter.


But perhaps perversely I’m loving this wide, deep rot hole in one of the drive sycamores. It weeps down the side of the tree. A home for detritivores! In the detritus of the rotting centre I found several insect pupae. Biodiversity in action. A glory!

I’m told that the tree is still safe.











No comments: