Tuesday 26 February 2008

it could make you weep


Yes, it's that time again. Time to buy onions and time to consider whether eating organic produce is really more expensive. Will the bill reduce me to tears?

In 2007 our summer onions fought against the worst summer rains anyone can recall. They finished early and didn't look a promising bunch. But they lasted all the way through until February and tasted great.

So, it's off to the supermarket now for onions with the usual dilemma of choosing imported organic or locally grown non-organic. You can see the way my tossed coin drops. We'll be buying organic until our own-grown overwintering onions are ready in June.

And although they are more expensive, I'll only be buying for three months or so. I bet I spend considerably less eating organic onions throughout the year than most spend buying the intensively grown, chemically drenched kind.

So, to those who say eating organic is too expensive I reply:

Anyone can grow their own food. Not only will the food be better, you'll get all the extra benefits of as much fresh air as you can breath. And after all - health is wealth!


submit a blog



6 comments:

Michelle Wood said...

Hi Rob,

I am going to give organic gardening a try. I've ordered a small greenhouse, and we will probably be growing in large containers since the soil here is 99.9% lava rock.

Even so, in the end, I have found that buying organic is not really more expensive than buying non-organic. Organically-grown foods are so much higher in nutrients (50% - 80% percent according to one university study) that I find that I get all the nutrients I need even as I eat less food!

Rob said...

Michelle

Grow your own organically.
As you say, the quality of the food is so much better, and the connection with the natural world is the greatest stress-buster ever created.

Rob

Geraldine said...

Apparently onions are one of the produce items that commercial growers do not have to use a lot of pesticides etc, to grow. They were at the bottom of the scale, in terms of being inundated with chemicals, in a recent consumer report I read.

We use a LOT of onions, I have yet to see the organic choice for these, for the most part.

Rob said...

British supermarkets are including a wider range of organic produce than ever before.
You're right about onions being better than many vegetables for chemical contamination. have you read http://willtaft.com/organic-food/the-dirty-dozen-of-food/.
You won't eat peaches again!!!!!!!!
Cheers to you and the cat!
Rob

Anonymous said...

Hi Rob - Glad to see you read my post on The Dirty Dozen! Just to be picky - It is OK to eat peaches, (local, in season, is best). As with all the produce on the list, just make sure they are *organic*.

Isn't it scary the number and types of chemicals that are present on the produce?

Now you can read my post from yesterday and be wish there was such a thing as organic water!

-Will

Rob said...

I recommend Wills' blog.
His piece about drinking water will make you gulp.
Healthy Living for People and Planet Earth - see my 'whole wide world' blog list.
Rob