Saturday 9 February 2008

a witch in the garden


Early February, and there is a widespread but mild frost across central England. This has been another mild winter with an obvious and inevitable impact on wildlife. Hedgehogs emerge from a fitful hibernation and butterflies stumble out into the pale sunshine too early.
There is very little that we can do on an individual basis about these changes but we can do a little local mitigation.
Plants that yield early pollen may be a lifesaver to insects that have emerged early. Our native snowdrops are now in flower and in sunny positions the beautiful primrose is already a patch of golden flowers.
The witch hazel (hamamelis) is a North American import but flowers abundantly for months when nothing else is offering nectar. We planted this variety, 'Arnold Surprise' , as part of the garden redesign and although still small is a spectacular addition.
I'm sure that the local insects will benefit.
submit a blog



3 comments:

Jayne said...

Hi, I've never commented on a blog before, but have just found yours and had to stop by!
I am ashamed, my witch hazel has paltry flowers in comparison but I thought I'd post a photo anyway www.compostingchilds.blogspot.com/. It's been a beautiful day tho!

Pink Heels said...

I live across the pond in Michigan, U.S., and I am still in a flurry of winter. I enjoy reading your blog in hopes that spring is right around the corner for us too!

Rob said...

Thanks for comments!
Wish I could take credit for the flowers - it came from the nursery like that!
Next year we'll see!!!!!!
We've had four stunning days of clear skies and warm weather. Today it was back to earth with a bump with Great British fog all day.