Monday 2 June 2008

the times they are a' changin'


We began allotment gardening in 2000. It is interesting to reflect on changing fashions and attitudes over the past eight years.

When we started, it seemed that very few gardeners were 'out' - an organic way. Chemical sprays were openly used and inorganic methods prevailed. We got the impression that being openly organic was considered a bit odd. Well, I am a bit odd, so no big surprise there. Now, it is more usual to meet organic gardeners than 'the other side'. Organic products are stocked in the allotment shop because of demand.
So, that's evidence, on a very local scale of a change in attitude - or fashion amongst gardeners to organic methods.

Another change is in the choice of plants. In our first year we planted garlic 'themidrome' and its broad leaves were mistaken for gladioli.
Garlic is now quite a common plant grown at the allotments. Last years crop was excellent, 'marco' yielding well and some bulbs were used in todays dinner!

This year, 'marco' has a competitor in the great garlic race. Whilst at the Malvern Show, we spotted 'white solent' bulbs and have planted a block. At the moment they are looking much stronger than 'marco' - their foliage is taller and greener and generally looking more vigorous. The wet weather of the past week should be bulking up those bulbs nicely.

4 comments:

Jayne said...

Hi Rob,
A friend of mine recently said she'd bought some black spot spray for her roses and i was genuinely shocked! How times have changed...

last year when i dug up my garlic, the bulbs turned out to be one single enormous clove. I think I've heard that they need a frost to split into cloves, do you know if that's true?

Unknown said...

I just wanted to compliment you on your blog - it's an interesting read and helpful too! I like your new parsnip method - I will have to give that a go next year!
I hope you enjoy my blog.
Can I add your link to mine?

Ali :)

Rob said...

Jayne,
I think you're onto a winner there with your single humoungous garlic! If it is really a single clove it would be exceptional.
Some garlic -elepahant garlic- has very large multiple cloves.
None don't require cold weather to split them.
Cheers
Rob

Rob said...

Ali
Thanks for coming round.
Yes please add me and when I get a mo, I'll reciprocate!!!!!!
Cheers
Rob