Thursday 26 February 2009

apples in february


Here we are, at the end of February, and we still have apples in store from the autumn.

Red Falstaff is a reliable variety, maturing later than most other varieties.

Of course, it can be eaten straight from the tree, but its special quality is as a 'keeper'. It can be stored from September/October until February or March.

Ours may not last much longer - because we've nearly eaten them all! This one was for breakfast today.

But eating our own, organic apples from late summer until March is something special. I'm forgetting the credit crunch and enjoying quite a different crunch!

5 comments:

Alan said...

I'll trade you a cow for some apples. Our apple projects are still in their infancy right now. Having home grown apples in storage is the dream. And some good cider.

Lisa said...

I am SO envious of having apples in storage.

Tim (AKA my gardening companion) is going to plant our (my, really) Esopus Spitzenburg apple tree up in our bit of mountain space this weekend. There's an Albermarle Pippin yet to come this spring, and an order for 5 heirloom varieties for next fall (to be grafted in March) after that.

Enjoy the last bites!

Rob said...

Alan
One day you will have stored apples and probably cider. I won't ever have stock to look after. How sad is that????!!!!!
Rob

Rob said...

You are going to have such fun watching those apples grow. Imagine the blossom in spring!
Good luck
Rob

Connie said...

I am looking to plant a good keeper apple, but I like apples with a tart taste. Is this one tart or sweet?