Sunday 10 May 2009

providing food for hungry bees




Providing food for hungry bees is very important. Changes in agricultural practices have resulted in a serious fall in bee populations across the world.

It is vital, then, that we do all we can to provide food for bees by planting flowers that they like.

Here's a favourite I blogged about a little while ago. It's the cowslip (primula veris) and the full head of flower shows lots have already been pollinated.

The second photo shows good news for next years bees: tiny seedlings that have grown from last years seed. They're growing amongst the garlic. I'll let them get a little bigger and then move them around the allotment to spread them.

1 comment:

Matron said...

Even though I do not do flowers on my veggie blog, I have made an exception this year and I am encouraging bees by growing their favourite flowers. I have left a broccoli to go to flower and they just LOVE that!