Tuesday 20 March 2012

vegetable garden border



The cordoned apples that separate the orchard and our nascent vegetable garden give an opportunity for more planting.

So, I'm drinking a lukewarm instant coffee and think that the cordons would support a less vigorous thornless rambler rose; perhaps a viticella clematis too...?

And what about a culinary border backed by the cordons that includes asparagus, rhubarb, chives, herbs ......

I've got the picture in my head until cousin Sue suggests I take my trailer down to her house where she has twenty bags of plants for me that have been liberated by her daughter Lucy from her garden. A chance for tea and delicious cake too.

Plan B..

So, there's dad (83) digging over the soil after I've mattocked and azarda-ed it and then me filling the newly created borders with perennials that include geraniums, day lillies, heucheras, hostas, geums and all manner of other beauties. The soil is impoverished so I spaded in compost and then gave each plant a handful of pelleted chicken manure before soaking with water.

There was such an abundance of lovely plants that I ran out of space and had to put the final bags into the polytunnel to await my next visit: epimediums, hostas and cyclamen ...

Great work and big thanks to Sue and husband Mal.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Rob,
I loved catching up on your posts this evening! It looks like you're doing great things in your new garden.
I don't have chickens, but wasn't sorry to read about how upset yours were with the loss of the older hen.

Cheers, and keep up the good work!

Lisa

Rob said...

Thanks Lisa- its an absorbing adventure. Rob