Thursday 7 February 2013

'gracile' arms

wooden battens will hold plaster board
The body of King Richard III, the last Plantagenet king has been found thirty miles away, buried beneath what has become a car park in Leicester . He died 500 years ago at the battle of Bosworth.

What caught my ears, in what was an amazing story, was a comment by the osteologist. In describing his skeleton, I (for the first time in my life) had some fellow feeling for a royal. It's not that I have spinal problem, before you jump to predictable conclusions. Richard was depicted by Shakespeare as a hunchback with a withered arm. The osteologist described Richard as having 'gracile arms'. That is, the arms of a woman.

A shaft of light when I suddenly I realised that's what I've got!! Not for me, beefy man arms like those adorning my son, adorned with tattos. As I struggle to drive hundreds of screws into wall and ceiling battens, my little, white string arms hurt! Now I know why!!!

No comments: