Tuesday, 16 April 2013

another twelve rounds and cordwood wins on points again

Got here at 8:00am today and began digging. We invested loads of time last year bringing on plants for the new garden and this late spring has given us valuable extra time to invest in the building. But buds are beginning to break, summer migrant chiffchaffs are calling and the weather is warming.
Time to move plants across from the nursery beds and to give them more space.
Hence the 8:00am start.
And good progress with dad and then a lovely lunch with Sue.
So, why do I want to do to this phone handset what Pete Townshend did to his guitar?
It's just that, again again, I am at a loss to know what I am doing and how I got myself into this mess?
It looks like this...
dessicating winds kill bamboos
Our airtightness test has been postponed three times due to the windy conditions. The next time they can test is Monday. But that will be after the plasterboards have been fixed so we won't be able to find where air leaks are... What's the point of that and what are we supposed to do?
Dave, our electrician was reading this blog on his holiday and spotted that water pipes in the service void are inadvertently immediately above where his recessed LED lights will be so need to be moved which means the system must be drained and repressurised...
We need to have holes in the wall to carry the pipes from the external airsource heat pump into the plant room. But Carbon Legacy won't drill them because the damp proofing we've done to the wall might be compromised. The ever helpful Pete (he is) explains what we need to do but calls me Rob, not noticing I've morphed once more into Nathan and that I'm beginning to bounce...
The bamboos we transplanted into the new border are dying due to the dessicating and relentless wind...
We are having earth mounding on the north side of the building with wire gabion baskets taking the strain. Steve says I've underestimated the difficulty of undertaking this. I wish my thinking had got as far as underestimating it...
We took a CCTV sensor from the wall when damproofing and I can't find my posidrive screwdriver to put it back...
The hens won't stay in the orchard...
At home I attempt to sponsor Tim at this weekends London marathon and complete the online system. That is until I am asked for the 1st, 2nd and 7th character of my passcode. I phone the bank and they confirm my passcode only has four characters. Then the system crashes....
Tomorrow on site at 7:30am to let Bruce and Mark, the plasterboarders in. Quite what problems they will present to me I can't begin to predict.
I'm just hoping that this newly installed phone app that emitted a piercing shriek at 3:30am this morning when a leaf crossed a sensor doesn't go off on my bedside table again tonight...

Post a Comment