Friday 6 February 2009

shallots


Oh dear, last years summer onions got rain at the wrong time and our crop, although plentiful, was small. The onions were half the size they should have been and we are now using the last.

Buying organic onions is a real problem because they have often been imported from somewhere ridiculous, like Argentina!

But, waiting in an orange onion bag is a member of the onion family that will see us through to February at least: shallots. Shallots are smaller and milder than onions, grow in little clusters and keep well into the New Year.

Now, I never have much success with shallots. I plant them in January, full of hope, but when I harvest them in June, I am always disappointed. The bulbs are small and the harvest smaller than the plants I bought and put in in January!

This year I gave them a warning: last chance!. And it worked!

While still a paltry crop (3lbs) they will keep us going for a few more weeks. And if we also make imaginative use of our bumper leek crop, they may keep us going longer.

Any tips on growing heavyweight shallots will be warmly welcomed!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

wao what a lovely onions....

Mr. H. said...

Hello,

I have never had luck with shallots either and did not even bother with them last year do to high prices. Now that I am aware that the secret to great shallots is to threaten them, I may have to give them another try.

I really enjoyed your "My own superstore!" post.

Mr. H

Sinfonian said...

That's just insane about organic produce coming all the way from Argentina. My sister-in-law's from there so I know just how far away that is. Sheesh!

Glad your shallots worked out for you finally. So threatening plants works. I'll have to remember that.

Rob said...

In case you want to repeat this method...
There was no actual violence to the shallots made during this experiment.
It was only implied!
Rob

Anonymous said...

We gave up on shallots years ago like you they came out of the ground smaller than they went in... This year w are giving growing using biodynamic principles a try http://intunewithmoon.findhornpress.com/ take a look at our blog and see how we are getting on

Rob said...

Will be fascinated to see how your experiments develop.
Good luck.
Rob